Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Word-filled Wednesday :)

Summer 2007

Poppy fishing

Poppy & I

Growing up, I always thought Poppy didn't like me. Sad, right. The thing was, he teased me all the time. It wasn't until I was older that I realized how much Poppy loves me. When I was little and I would spend the night at my grandparents, I loved when my Gramma would let me wake Poppy up from his nap so he could shower and get ready for work. I wasn't the most gentle person to wake someone from their deep slumber as I would poke and tickle and giggle and say "wake up" in a volume too loud for a sleeping person! However, I would put notes in Poppy's lunchbox while he was in the shower (he worked the night shift at the police station as the dispatcher...this was I think his 3rd job after retiring) for him to read when he took his break. What I didn't realize was that he saved all of the notes that I left him and kept them in his locker at work. Now that we are both older (he'll be 80 in September and I'll be half way to 50 the end of the month) I realize how much he loves me and we both tease one another equally. When I call my grandparents to check in I always ask him if he misses me and he always responds with "like a wart" or something goofy like that. I think I'm probably his favorite wart :)

I love my grandparents and can't wait to go home again and hang out with them! They have the best stories and we have so much fun with them! However, I won't be going home again until all 3 feet of snow melts...so maybe sometime in June! HA!

2 comments:

  1. That's so sweet.
    I have very fond memories of spending the night with my grandparents when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a precious post! My Mamaw was so special to me....and she lived until I was 48!!! I love that my children have such great memories of my parents....and continue to have them. I want to make those memories with my grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete