Monday, July 5, 2010

The Home of the Free and the Brave

I lived a blessed life.
I love America.
July 4th has always been my favorite holiday.
However this year was a bit different. And I was sad.

I started the day kind of bummed because I'm wasn't home with my friends and family. I wasn't headed to the beach with the crew for fireworks. I didn't eat a cheeseburger with the crew or my family. I was in the living room of my apartment, by myself, washing my carpets...glamorous I know!

For the first time ever, I had no plans to celebrate Americas birthday with those I love.

ABC and her hubby are in Charleston, Steph and Marcus went to the lake, and my friend Theresa had to work until 9.

While I could've gone to the baseball game for the fireworks, I didn't want to go alone. But I didn't want to miss fireworks.

Being a child of so much technology, I set my DVR to record the Boston Pops.
That made me sad.

So I went out to grab a copy of the paper and started to realize that now I was angry.

The "major chains" were all open. I could go almost anywhere I wanted to and that made me mad!

Its July 4.

Americas birthday.

And for that reason alone every shopping establishment should be closed! Yes gas stations and emergency service places and probably hotels should be open but that's it. In my opinion.

I think it's a day when we, as American citizens, should spend time reflecting on our freedom and thanking those brave soldiers that fought for our freedoms and continue to fight for our freedoms. It's not a day we should take for granted. I think too many people these days are too "comfortable". They look to this as a 3 or 4 day weekend forgetting why they receive an extra holiday. (maybe I'm bitter since my place of employment only views thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter as holidays) But as I was sulking in my "aloneness" I realized that I needed to grow up and continue to love July 4th like I always have. Because even though they weren't around at the time, I have the freedom to visit my friends whenever I want. And I can call home whenever I want. And I can drive the many hours home when work will allow. I don't have to wait for the government to tell my troop/platoon/team/base/ship/any other military when I am allowed to come HOME.

I'm blessed.

I'm not off fighting on enemy grounds. I'm not separated from my family by a large body of water for 6 months to a year or more. And for those reasons and many others, I thank our soldiers past, present and future.

sidenote: I did hear lots of fireworks from my apartment and did walk around the complex for over an hour enjoying all of the neighborhood "shows". It was GREAT!
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under."
-Ronald Reagan

No comments:

Post a Comment